I am a receptionist at my job, I do more than just answer phones but I sit at the front desk. I am the first person people see when they walk in. I don’t have a problem talking to our visitors that come through the doors. They range from presidents of other companies to just our courier guys. Some are very nice and others you can tell have chips on their shoulders but they all tend to be pretty interesting. I have noticed over the past eight years that people don’t have a problem talking to me at all about anything. Even my co-workers feel as if they can come up to me and just let it all out as if I am some kind of psychiatrist. Some people even take a seat and blab on and on. I have thought many times to put a jar out that says “tips” but I haven’t yet, maybe one day. I have also realized over this time that I am a good listener. I don’t always give my advice often times I won’t but I do listen to every word. Maybe I should have been a psychiatrist I sure would be making more money than I do now.
The reason I bring this up is because one of our courier guys just came to pick up a package. He was very nice, immediately says “Happy Friday isn’t it great?!” I agreed with a smile on my face. He went on to tell me how tired he was because he has 2 jobs, the courier services and then FedEx in the afternoons so when he gets home at 10pm he is just exhausted. He had a few more details and I listened and when he was done, I told him to have a great day and a great weekend, he told me to do the same.
Maybe just by listening and having a smile on my face I made someone’s day which in turn makes my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment