Thursday, September 17, 2009

Home school vs Regular school

Have you ever thought about homeschooling your children? I really haven’t for many reasons such as I have always had a full time job, never wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and can’t say I have the patience for being home all day long in the first place. I never would have thought any kids would actually want to be homeschooled either until I had three completely different children of my own.

Kaela is definitely not a candidate for homeschooling. She loves the social scene and right now school is that place for her. She loves going to school. I can’t remember a time when she has said she hated school. If there was no homework she would probably be happy going to school the rest of her life. Even though she has to report to school 2 hours early for Volleyball she still does not complain.

Then there is Bryanna who loves the social scene as well. She couldn’t wait to get back to seeing her friends after summer break. She however has a few mild learning disabilities and it really triggers fear in her when it comes to test taking and reading. She stayed home the other day because she wasn’t feeling well and I picked up all of her work so she could work on it during the day so she wouldn’t get behind. I got home and she said, “I was home schooled today and I liked it”. She would love to stay at home with her tangled matted hair and her dirty night gown shirt all day long doing her work at her leisure but she sure would miss her friends and school lunches!

Jonathan is a home body. I don’t want to say he hates school but he really does dislike going. He however is the only child who wants to get straight A’s and really beats himself up if he gets a lower grade. He complains daily and asks if it’s Saturday. He just would rather be at home 24 hours a day! If he had the choice he would be my one child that would jump on the idea of being home schooled and having a play date with a friends every now and then!

Each child is so completely different from the next and maybe homeschooling is or isn’t for your child, I just thought it was interesting thinking about my children and figuring out if it was for them or not. I am definitely not thinking of quitting my job so I can home school but it really got me thinking about how children feel about going to school verses being home schooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment