Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike

Hurricane Ike has come and gone and left a huge impression in most people’s lives. We sat outside for a long time Friday, feeling the winds pretty early on. It was a nice night but it turned ugly fast. We lost power around 3am Saturday morning. I was one of those people who really thought they would be able to sleep right through it. WRONG! I couldn’t sleep, it was scary. Listening to the winds slam against our windows and the rain pound was just nerve wracking and something I have never heard before. I wasn’t sure if our big picture windows would handle what Ike brought. Thankfully we got through the night just fine. The kids didn’t wake once.

When we woke up Saturday morning the kids and I jumped on our bikes to see what Ike had done to our neighborhood. It was surreal and unreal. This was stuff you see on TV not your own neighborhood. We were swerving through debris and down power lines, just a disaster. Our neighborhood was destroyed by our beautiful trees we take pride in. It was very sad to see.

We have no power. We have no clue when power will be restored. We have seen 2 Center Point Energy people in the neighborhood assessing the damage. I talked to one yesterday and he said they are working their way towards us. We do however have running water which is good; it’s nice to be able to bathe the kids and myself! We have been lucky with great weather. I guess it is Mother Nature’s way of apologizing for her destruction!

As of now there is no school for the week. The kids have been doing ok. We have been outside day and night but they love it. They watch movies on the dvd player at night. They are missing the computer the most.

Hopefully by this time next week all will be normal. My camera ran out of batteries so I will upload pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment